Monday, September 12, 2011

3 years... Some Kinks and Curls Later

Good and Bad Hair:

The Good. My hair care journey has taken me from every “black labeled” isle of Target, Walmart, to the dark recesses of Beauty Supply stores across the DMV, NYC, and GA looking for hair care products. Three years later after my so-so big chop, my hair care journey has taken me to various lengths literally. I started off in October of 2008 with my cute short curls and became a product junkie. I was obsessed with Carol’s Daughter’s products and I still am to a point. As my cute coif began to grow into the awkward stage of various lengths, shapes, curl patterns I like to call “nothingness” I was a weave and wig girl for life! I had long hair, straight hair, silky smooth hair, you name it. I dyed it, fried it, covered it but somehow managed to get through it. And just like my hair, my relationships went through almost the same process. I just couldn’t any longer accept the status-quo (relaxers). Three years of growing out my hair = three years of embracing singleness.

During that time, I learned to love me for me, hair kinks and all. I ran into a few guys who prefer it straight, simply to just mess it up with their hands… but most like it curly! Unruly like myself! I am not a rebel perse, I just do things my way. But back to the hair at hand. I had fun with it, and still do. I LOVE my curls, and even now, I find myself enjoying their thickness. I love to be able to just let my hair float in water, soak up conditioner, and change from straight to curl with water. I love rainy days because I finally can walk in the rain and not worry about my hair. I like being different. I like being a trendsetter. I love embracing my own quirkiness (Lord knows I have a lot of it), but most importantly, I love being me!



The Bad. A lot of women think that by going natural it’s easy or cheaper. Heck no! It’s hella hard! Trust me! I go through conditioner like soap. I’m buying $10 bottles weekly! Yeah this regimen is expensive. I am deep conditioning twice a month, because I have color in my hair and therefore my ends stay dry. I am constantly looking for products to add moisture to my hair sans spraying water on it! Do you know how many bobby pins, curling irons, flat irons, hair pomade, etc . that I go through on the regular just to maintain my curls?! It’s a budget all in itself and it’s not cheap! I can’t just go to the salon whenever and drop $60+ every two weeks! Instead, I have to maintain my own hair care most often months at a time. I have to come up with new hairstyles that will fit my curl pattern and transition from work to play effortlessly! And honestly, I’m sick of it all. I miss straight hair. The smooth edges, the long tresses! I used to rock a MEAN wrap! Alas, those days are dead and gone and as it stands now, at the slightest bit of moisture my hair kinks and knots up like non-other. I miss my straight hair days, my wraps at night, and my flowing tresses! I miss the salon gossip, the fresh smell of a relaxer and glosser spray (don’t judge me). It’s sad to say I am ready for a change.

I feel like I am a chick who has it all together, shoes, fit, nails, face… but when it comes to my hair… well, let’s just say I am in the wrong department for it to be so unruly! Yeah, I’m over it, but maybe I’m not. Maybe I still have room to grow. It’s been three years and so much has happened in these three years that I maybe I have another three left in me! Perhaps this is just another stage of transition and the best is yet to come. It took so much work to get here, why conform? I think I’ll keep my curls a little while longer… I got a feeling someone will like them just as much as me :)

xoxox,
Roxxci Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment