Friday, November 13, 2009

Dear Black Man: Part One, Thank You


Dear Black Man,

Today I want to take the time to appreciate the black men in my life. Thank you so much for being positive representations of strong black men. Even when you all get on my everlasting nerves there is nothing like a black men. I love black men and everything they represent. Even though many of you get a bad rep (some of you deserve it), I still think there is nothing more special than a black man who is going places!! For those of you who are making something of yourselves, not subjecting yourself to stereotypes, educating yourself, uplifting your fellow black sisters, and are making business moves this note is for you. Thank you for encouraging me and always being in my corner.


The Way You Walk! Sleepy Brown sang “I Like the Way You Move” on the OutKast Speakerboxx album. Even though he was referring to us ladies, the same holds true to black men. There is nothing like a confident, swaggerific (yeah I had to say it) stroll to make a woman turn her head. Mix that with some (non-overpowering) cologne and you got black women all over you like an axe commercial. Just make sure you pull your pants up. And talk about dancing. Ladies I know you know you are checking out his footwork from his two step to his poppin and locking.


That Smile. Ladies, am I wrong in saying this, but when a brotha cracks a smile, we kinda get caught off guard? Is it just me? C'mon, when a black man smiles you cannot help but enjoy it! There’s something about most black men and those dimples and how his eyes light up when he’s smiling or laughing. WHOOOO girl! I know it just about does it for me. There’s something about that boyish devilish grin that will melt your heart and have you out of your panties by the time those eyes work its way down and around your curves. You ladies know what I am talking about! And those lips. Wait let me regain my composure. I am at work :)


The Way It Is. You know ladies we could take a lesson from these brothas and just tell it like it is. We should adopt a no nonsense approach to life. For those who grew up with daddies in the house, for most of us what daddy said was the law! He may be wrong, but he has you hanging onto every word and you believe in him. That was just the way it was. Still even today I appreciate it when a man's word is his bond. What you see is what you get. Ain't no flippin scrips or game changing in the ninth inning.


I love a brother’s ability to infuse a few terms from around the way along with Webster’s finest. When street smarts meet book smarts and common sense, now that’s real education. When a black man speaks he is able to capture the attention of many. They don’t speak often so when they do take heed and listen.


Loves himself some black women. You know, this may not only be an attribute but a flaw as well. But there is nothing like a black man that loves a black woman and doesn’t mind showing her off from time to time. Yup. I said it! He knows what he has is worth more weight than gold and can’t wait to enjoy himself with an equal black sista like himself. He is proud of his heritage and his legacy. I know I don’t mind if a Black man takes another woman’s call in front of us, as long as it ends with “Love you too, mama.” The way a man treats his mother is definitely a sign on how he views women, and Black men have a sweet spot when it comes to their moms. What’s sexier than that?


Man In the Mirror. What other group of people you know can rock a fade, a shape up, an afro, a s-curl, a Jerri curl, a press n curl, some designs cut into their head, Shirley temple curls, a texturizer, a moisturizer, or some oil sheen like a black man? Now I know many of those styles have past their prime for many of our black men, but the swagger is inevitable. No one can wear their hat cocked to the side just so like a Black man can. Whether 18 or 81, on Saville Row in London or on South Street in Philly, sporting a Yankee fitted real low or a fedora— it just doesn’t look the same on anyone else. I love how that bronzed skin glistens with sweat at the gym, or those rock hard abs pressed up against your backside grooving to a 70s kinda love. Those big strong cocoa arms wrapped around you feeling like you are protected from all the evils of the world. Whether you are in corporate America or hitting the school yard. The way you carry yourself is like none other. The sense of fashion can be seen from the boardroom to the bedroom.


His Way With Words. I know you wanna leave me. But I refuse to let you go. If I have to beg and plead for your sympathy I don’t mind kuz you mean that much to me! “Times like this I wish that raindrops would fall.” Forget Shakespeare and Sinatra. There is nothing better than being with a Black man and not having to explain your favorite movie and TV quotes—from Eddie King, Jr. to Shug Avery, Joe Clark and Martin Payne. Only a black man can rhyme over beats just so and have you in tears on Sunday morning SAAAAANNNGing HIS MIGHTY PRAISES to the Lord! Ladies, we can sang ourselves read good, but ain’t nothing like a singing brother!


Built Ford Tough. Black men realize that being a strong Black woman is for survival and one part of our multidimensional personalities. You being strong allows us to be soft and let our hair down (in all its hues and textures). And we’ll do the same when your soft and loving side wants company. We understand that the world is designed for you to fail and we struggle everyday for our freedom and justice standing beside our black men.


Natural Man. No preservatives added. We age beautifully and so do you! No artificial enhancements or extra preservatives. The brothers we love understand our hair history and know to admire our tresses from afar, unless told otherwise. Black men also realize they’ve made it to a new level of intimacy when we pull out that scarf that keeps things fresh. And many black men love us naturally curvy women!



xoxox,

Roxci

No comments:

Post a Comment